Saturday, July 08, 2006

The Saturday Seven - #1


My debut Saturday Seven is pretty modest - not much emotional attachment here. The main thing was just making myself actually get rid of these. In the bag are nine books (I started with seven and then saw two more I didn't really need to be hanging onto). I donated these to the American Assocation of University Women (Ann Arbor Branch) for their book sale . The money the AAUW raises from the book sale goes to fund scholarships for undergraduate women and fellowships for female graduate students. Great cause, eh? Plus I got a little receipt to get a tax deduction.

I took a picture of each separate book but then decided that was a little boring, so here is a shot of just the bag of books. I'm a little embarrassed that I own(ed) some of these, but here goes.

Contents:
The Detox Plan for Body, Mind, and Spirit (Jane Alexander)
owned since: 1997
last time I read it: I never really read the whole thing through. I think I glanced through it briefly in the last few months, out of mild curiosity.
did I ever follow the plan? no
why did I hold onto it for 9 years? Because I have these notions that some day I will try a detox diet and find myself miraculously with tons of energy and looking and feeling better than I ever have. The truth is, though, I'm actually skeptical of my own such notions. Not to mention too lazy to ever implement.

Stupid White Men (Michael Moore)
owned since: 2003?
last time I read it: 2003. I did read the whole thing and enjoyed it. Though MM is a tad over-the-top.

Prevention Women's Health Today 2002
owned since: 2002
Yet another diet/exercise book cluttering up my shelf. Says the same old stuff.

Dr. Dean Ornish's Program for Reversing Heart Disease (Dean Ornish)
owned since:
2001. Bought it after my husband had a heart attack. Read it from cover-to-cover. Digested some of it and haven't picked it up since. No need to keep it.

The Whole Soy Cookbook (Patricia Greenberg)
owned since:
1998, when I was still a vegetarian and not yet suspicious of soy.
Glanced through it some and never ever made a single thing from it.

Marilu Henner's Total Health Makeover (Marilu Henner)
owned since:
1998
I'm totally embarrassed that I own this. I think I saw her on Oprah or Rosie touting her diet. And I was impressed by how she had completely changed her body. The diet, though, was not for me (I'm not really a diet person, despite the fact that I bought this book). I think I did make a couple of recipes from it several years ago.

The 30-Day Total Health Makeover (Marilu Henner)
owned since:
1999
More of the same. Can you believe I owned two diet books by Marilu Henner - both in hardcover??

The Real Mother (Judith Michael)
owned since:
2005
Got this through freecycle in a batch of books that had something else I wanted to read. This isn't usually my kind of novel, but I read it anyway. At least I'm not hanging on to it.

The DaVinci Code (Dan Brown)
owned since:
2003
In my line of work, I had to read the book since everyone was asking me biblical, historical, and theological questions about it. I found it a quick, enjoyable read, but not the earthshattering book that others seemed to think. Not the kind of book I hang on to.

How I feel about getting rid of this batch of stuff: Pretty good. Though believe it or not, I'm sitting here wondering if I missed some good recipes in the Marilu Henner books....

Total number of things gone from my life so far: 9

I'm excited that some of you out there are planning to join me on this journey! If you've posted a Saturday Seven on your blog (or photo hosting account, or somewhere else), please leave a link in the comment section below. And look for a blogring announcement in the next few days!

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You have an awesome idea and I liked your reasoning behind it. Fortunately, I've been working on the whole "why do I really need this" thing in a less organized form for a few years now, or else I'd join you.

Maybe you could add a stat button on your sidebar with the number of things gone to date?

In case you're curious, I found your site through KH. I'm looking forward to watching your progress.

5:01 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I plan to join you too! This is a very manageable way to de-clutter at a reasonable pace.
I found your blog through MDC.

10:54 AM  
Blogger Bluebird49 said...

I am so looking forward to watching you de-clutter!! Do you know--I wanted to know exactly what books you were getting rid of--and wondering HOW you were going to DO that!! Get rid of a book???--No way!! Stacey--I don't know you (except from KH.com)--but you are my hero, girl!!

A young friend of mine suggested everytime I bought something, promise to give something away--and I can't even do THAT yet!

12:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey! (It's CJ...I forgot my stupid password...again.) This is a cool idea...maybe I'll find time to join you in this little online project...hmmmm. In the meantime, have you seen this website: http://www.bookcrossing.com/? It's a cool idea for getting rid of books.

2:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home