Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Tackle It Tuesday #4 - my boys' room

Tackle It Tuesday Meme

My twin sons will be three next week. They share a small room, which has been in transition for the last 10 months, when we had to first convert their cribs to toddler beds (because they were beginning to climb out), and then take those beds out and leave the mattresses on the floor (because they were climbing the bed sides, jumping off the beds, pushing them around the room - taking turns riding in them - and blocking the door with them), and then take out the changing table (because they were climbing it and dancing on the top of it), and then take out the dresser (because they were starting to try to climb it). Yeah, my boys are a handful.

In the beginning, their room looked like this:

By this past March, it looked like this:


In March, I tackled the bed situation, by getting both crib mattresses out and assembling a double bed that we had stored in our basement. For two months, their room had a bed and basically zero storage.

I finally tackled it. My Old Man and I moved a nightstand, a small dresser, and a bookcase in their - items that were once a part of the guestroom (which was turned into the nursery), then were stored in the basement, then were moved into my study. I have had these pieces of furniture for roughly 14 years, starting with my first apartment after college. It's nice to see that they are still so functional, and they have made a huge difference in my boys' room.


Finding a place for all my boys' toys, big and small, has been a real challenge. It helps that it is finally warm enough to be in our poorly-insulated sunroom. I moved a lot of their bigger toys there. I'm not sure what I'll do in five months when it's too cold to play out there anymore. I moved most of their stuffed animals into their closet, where I hung one of those mesh tube-like things from Ikea (I had originally hung it in their bedroom a few months ago, but they promptly pulled it down). They seem to be keeping their books neater now that there's a sturdier bookcase for them.

And the best organizational piece I got was this:



A shoe hanger, for all their small toys. This has been perfect, especially for all those pesky Mr. Potato Head pieces. The boys can see all their small toys easily, and it is so easy for them (and me) to put them up).

Possibly the biggest change in the room is that, while there is now enough organized space for toys, books, and clothes, there is also enough cleared out playspace:

The dresser used to be on this wall, and the bookcase was right there at the window. Now, instead, there is a clear path from door to window (which opens up the room, and makes it feel bigger than it is), and there is space on the floor for them to pull out their trainset (from under the bed, where it is now neatly stored!) and set it up to play.

I am so pleased with this room now. I am even putting up their laundry in a more timely fashion, because there is actually a place for everything (for months, many of their clothes have mostly been stored in the basement, in laundry baskets!). It is so much easier for them to help clean up, too.

There is still work to do, and ultimately I plan to tackle it all. In no particular order:
1 - I need to remove the nursery border from the walls.
2 - We need to spackle in the holes where we had attached the dresser and bookcase (to keep them from tipping).
3 - The room needs to be repainted (probably the same color, but it needs to be freshened).
4 - New bed linens. I plan to buy a sheet set, but I'd like to make the bedcover myself (I'm hoping to learn to quilt this summer).
5 - New window dressings. (currently their old nursery valances are up)
6 - Wall hangings.
7 - Install a shelf for a CD player (that needs to be out of their reach).
8 - Remove the potties, once the boys are consistently using the bathroom toilet.

Obviously, I have a lot of tackles ahead of me! But I think this current one has had the biggest psychological impact. Now I'm ready for more!

13 Comments:

Blogger Diane Viere said...

WOW!!! Beautiful!

What a beautiful room...with some really fabulous toy-storage ideas!

Yes, you hit the nail on the head...tackling a cleaning project can be therapeutic!!!

Diane

6:26 AM  
Blogger Angie @ Many Little Blessings said...

Awesome!!! I'm so impressed! (I have a child's room to re-do eventually too!)

6:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It looks awesome! Happy Tuesday!

6:56 AM  
Blogger RaesMom said...

Wow, what a tackle. Great job. Love the use of the shoe rack for small toys.

7:38 AM  
Blogger on the Rock said...

What a beautiful room! I love it. And I really like the idea of mattress only beds to start kids out on transitioning from the crib.

8:19 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Brilliant tackle! Well done.

8:39 AM  
Blogger Candace said...

I love your toy storage ideas. I might have to use some of them for Anna. I have been trying to figure out what to do with hers too.

Thanks for the good tips!

9:55 AM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

Sounds like you have an ongoing tackle for sure! Great job with all you've done so far. I bet it will be just perfect when you're all done!

11:06 AM  
Blogger Atasha said...

Oh my! what a fantastic job you did with the room. Great idea with the shoerack.

Thanks for stopping by and Happy Tuesday

2:19 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Nice work. How is the shoe organizer hung? I LOVE that idea for small toys!

6:30 PM  
Blogger Fingers To Toes Photography said...

What a great tackle! It looks great!

6:39 PM  
Blogger Pamela said...

Youi've done a great job with the boys' room!! Just remember that you don't always have to do everything at one time. (that's a hard one for me too. LOL)

8:22 PM  
Blogger MsAmpuTeeHee said...

Congrats on the new room! I love that you've found a way to give the kids more room to play, and that you set up a system that helps them find their own things and put them back. Good luck with the next phase!

8:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home