Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Tackle It Tuesday #3 - again with the sock drawers

Tackle It Tuesday Meme

So a couple of weeks ago, I showed a tiny bit of progress I had made on decluttering in my house. A single drawer in my bedroom dresser. It was the top drawer, and I have successfully kept clutter from piling back into it in the three weeks since I cleaned it out. And yet, the dresser still looks like this:


Hey, the fact that the top drawer actually closes now is a huge (and very positive) change from before. But as you can see, the second drawer needed major work.

Socks, knee-high stockings, pantyhose, and slips, all in a jumble. But with the new-found room in my top drawer, and some additional weeding out, I was able to find a space for everything.



This is the top drawer now. I somehow failed to take a shot of the second drawer now, which looks basically the same - another sock drawer organizer, and then to the left some folded things. I was even able to organize all my underfrillies with the two sock organizers. And - in a rare move - I am actually throwing something away. Three pairs of maternity underwear that make me feel bad every time I put them on. It has been almost three years since I was pregnant, do I really need to be wearing those now? And, though I'm all about passing my unusables on to other people, I just can't see giving these to anyone. So, score one for the landfill. Sorry, Mama Earth.

[on second thought, they are not in the trash yet, is there a non-landfill way to part with cotton? It's not compostable is it? I cannot see repurposing these for anything else, so if there's a way to recycle these, I'd love to know it]

Sorry for all the talk about underthings. I promise my next post won't be so, er, intimate.

Two drawers down. Three drawers, plus the top surface, to go.

Labels:

12 Comments:

Blogger Twisted Cinderella said...

OOoooohh Aaaaaawww! It looks amazing. I want some of those dividers! socks and underwear are the bane of my organizing existence.

8:09 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

that is a HUGE difference! HUGE!
and by the way--my Grandmother lives about 30 minutes out of Ann Arbor in Dexter on Base Lake (one of the chain on the huron river)! beautiful area!!!!

8:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey-still can't remember my password. anyhow, Recycle Ann Arbor Drop off Station has a way to recycle textiles (like cotton). Check out their website: http://www.recycleannarbor.org/dos/dos.htm I can't remember what is taken, but I'm pretty sure your undies would be okay. :-)

CJ

11:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It look spectacular!! Great job!

12:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

cotton IS compostable

1:44 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Yes, you can compost cotton. Shredding it will help it break down.

2:28 PM  
Blogger AMCSviatko said...

Or you could cut them up and use them as dusters and cleaning cloths. Which, of course, you'd already thought of, right?

Or cut them into strips and tie up plants.

4:40 PM  
Blogger AnnaLiza said...

Yeah! I got one of those!! One for the "skippy" drawer and one for the sock drawer!! Great job!

5:42 PM  
Blogger Lia said...

I just read an old Mother Jones article on composting, and it said that cotton, leather, newspaper can all compost. Especially if you wet it before adding to the pile.

8:34 AM  
Blogger Jupiter said...

I have somehow meandered here while lost on the internet and I just wanted to say, I LOVE love LOVE this blog! Wow...I'm inspired ;)

2:00 PM  
Blogger Pamela said...

LOL, unmentionables that you mentioned. I like the idea of cutting them into strips. You can use strips for a lot of things. Tying up plants is top on my list.
You drawers--LOL-- look great--keep it up!!! I went through my dresser and found a new home for a ton of things.

4:35 PM  
Blogger Bonny said...

cotton is also flammable, too. Burn 'em! :-)

10:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home