Saturday, August 12, 2006

The Saturday Seven - #6

The "I Love the 80s" (and early 90's) edition

It is a feat of sheer stubbornness that brings me to this blog tonight. I have not done much blogging lately because my time with family is way too brief to spend too much of it online. But I'm determined to keep up with my Seven Things commitment. So this week, I have gritted my teeth and started going through old things of mine in my parents' closets and drawers. It is a bit ghastly. You might want to avert your eyes.

Except that I'm having so many bleepin' technical difficulties tonight (have already wasted nearly an hour trying to get my camera, My Old Man's laptop, my dad's pc, and blogspot to cooperate with each other), I'm unable to get any pics uploaded, except one.

So you'll just have to let your imagination fill in the horrifying blanks. Except for one little pic from 1989 (my dad's scanner is down, so this is a picture of a picture)
1 - matching distressed denim vest and jeans with brown leather trim. I won this. WON IT. That right there tells you why I have held on to it for 17 years. It was a week before I was leaving for my freshman year of college. I was shopping in the junior department of Parisian, when the salesgirl (a friend of mine) told me about a contest they were having. If you could rope their fake steer, you would be entered into a drawing to win $100 worth of denim. I roped the steer. My name was drawn. I won the denim. Looking at the picture, you might think that they chose which denim I won. Nope, ladies and gents, I picked this ensemble myself.


I was so proud of this outfit. So even though I haven't worn it in forever and haven't fit in it for nearly as long, I have held onto it. The Seven Things Project was the kick I needed. It's going.

2 - my sweet sixteen dress. Tea-length, peach, lace. I have an unbelievable picture of myself in this thing, wearing a cape, crown, and carrying a scepter for a church award ceremony. Couldn't get it loaded, but trust me, it's a pretty astonishing thing. Held onto the dress for sentimental reasons.

3 - my junior prom dress. It's actually still kinda cute, but of course I'll never have a use for it. It was black and white and floor length with a shirred waist. I have a pic of myself in this with super big hair, a very fake tan (from a bottle), and the cute Dutch exchange student (who I asked to the dance because I was determined to go). Held onto the dress for sentimental reasons. This piece feels like the hardest one to get rid of, though I'm not sure why.

4 - bridesmaid's dress. Tea-length, teal green taffeta with huge puffy sleeves. From the only wedding I've ever been in (other than my own or other than as an officiant). I was my cousin's maid of honor in the early 90s. We had shoes dyed to match. I assume I got rid of the shoes, don't know why I still have the dress.

5 - black knit dress with leopard print collar and belt. Wore this to a homecoming dance at someone else's school my senior year in high school. Felt incredibly out-of-place when I saw what all the other girls were wearing, though my date didn't seem to notice. This had been my mother's dress before I started wearing it. It is sooooo 80s. Am not sure why I still have it.

6 - homecoming dress from senior year of college. Cute little purple number. I can't believe how small my waist was when I look at this thing. This dress reminds me of how truly horrible I was - I broke a date with someone for homecoming because the guy I really wanted to go with asked me to be his date. To make matters worse, the two guys were roommates - and I was their RA. Oof. We had an okay time on the date, and we dated a little bit after that, but I always felt bad for how I treated the other guy.

7 - purple plastic diamond shaped earrings. Totally 80s, though I may have worn them in the early 90s as well, perhaps with the purple dress of #6.

So that's the account. I have many, many more outfits and pieces of jewelry that need to be gone through here at my folks' place. But it's hard because every piece has such history and nostalgia for me. Having the goal of 7 has really motivated me. I doubt I would've gotten rid of even this much otherwise.

Am taking all this to Goodwill on Monday. Won't add it to my sidebar counter till then.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Man, this is such a great idea. I wish I could participate, but I just culled my enitre life down to an eight foot moving truck (now in storage in Minnesota) as I have moved to South Korea for at least a year. I am living with so little "stuff" in my house (read: tiny studio apartment) it's amazing. Everything I currently own actually has a purpose. I don't even have a yarn stash any longer!

5:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home