Sunday, February 25, 2007

The Saturday Seven - #31

The "Yay, craigslist!" edition

It's gone!


before


after

Yay! No more big blank eye staring at me in the bedroom. It feels unbelievably freeing to get rid of this. I got $75 cash for it and had a good craigslist experience to boot. Not only did the buyer show up when he had arranged, he actually called me a few hours later to thank me. How cool is that? Finally having a good craigslist selling experience has given me some new energy to try again with my antique table.

I also returned 6 ridiculous and completely unnecessary plastic popcorn holders that I had gotten from the Target Dollar Spot in December. I did not go to Target that day thinking, "Hey, you know what I need? 6 plastic containers made to look like those paper popcorn holders you get at the movie theater. Because I don't have enough stuff cluttering up my kitchen cabinets. And because, you know, I don't want to eat my popcorn out of just regular old bowls." But there they were, in the Dollar Spot, looking all cute and cool. I thought they would be fun. Until I brought them home and My Old Man asked why we needed them. "They were only a dollar!" didn't really cut it as a reason. Still, it took nearly three months for me to make myself take the things back. Am still trying to learn my lesson about that freakin' Dollar Spot.

Hey, thank y'all for the very kind and thoughtful responses to my last post (both on this blog and in my email inbox). I really didn't know what kind of feedback I'd get from such a post, and, like I said, it felt vulnerable. I appreciate the really great responses. I totally agree with what TheAmpuT said - that life is a series of little deaths. I really feel that, even (especially?) whenever any happy milestone occurs - a wedding, a graduation, my babies walking. Happy things, progress, good stuff, forward motion. But these things also mark the little deaths, too. Just like the giving away of things seems to do as well.

Oh, and perhaps it won't surprise y'all to know, as much as I've been wanting that TV gone, I felt a little sad when I saw the guy walking away with it. Yeah, I know, I'm a little ridiculous.

Total this week: 7.
Total so far: 247.

4 Comments:

Blogger T. Crockett said...

I just found your blog through a reference on Knit-Cast and am glad I did. I've been on a similar quest to clear out the clutter this year.

In an earlier post you mentioned how hard it is to give up books. I know what you mean. I'm getting better about it by asking myself two questions: Am I emotionally attached to this copy of the book and if not, could I get it through the library if I want to reread it?

5:24 PM  
Blogger MsAmpuTeeHee said...

Little snippets:
Yes, I would agree that even the good transitions are often the passing away of things.
I think the vase is a lovely replacement :-)
I love Craigslist. I found TheMostImportantGuy in my life on CL.
And I'm giggling because I bought those same popcorn containers from Target. But we actually use them! hahaha (goofy, I know)

6:49 PM  
Blogger Elizabeth said...

I found this through the Blog Party--a link form your other blog. I'm in! I know I'm late, but I'll try to carry on for a year, as you suggest. I've just posted my first Seven on my blog. Thanks for the inspiration.

7:23 AM  
Blogger Keziah said...

When I moved into my own house, I decided not to have a TV. I can definitely say it is one of the best decisions I have ever made and that I will never get one now. Well done! The flowers are so much prettier!

(Visiting via the Blog Party - thanks for having me!)

2:06 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home